||Originally purchased in 1997 this 1908 Ballard house had no light
switches, only pull chains. The kitchen was fitted with a circa 1950's electric
stove. The heating was provided by a single large electric box wall mounted
heater in the living room.
The house was sited 16 inches from the west
property line and given the narrow lot configuration, any development was by
necessity going to be a remodel in order to maintain the width of the future
Marvin Wetzel spent four months studying Seattle land use
codes and then with architect Ray Freeman as the designer, they designed a
single family residence with an approved top floor ADU.
||The existing house
was raised with steel beams and hydraulic jacks, the lowest floor demolished,
the site excavated underneath the house to allow for a full lower floor, and a
new foundation and floor framing system was put in place. The house was lowered
on to this new foundation and the top floor walls and roof replaced with a new
two story structure.
The roof line and siding scheme was designed to
not only give a long lasting and maintenance free finish but invoke a bit of
the Ballard maritime heritage.
Eventually every square inch of the lot
was detailed, with planting, walkways, patios, and a deck.